Presented by Dr Jessica Pierce
Sunday 24th January 2021 19.00 – 20.00 (GMT)
Webinar cost is £15.00
(Recording is free for ICB members)
Unleashing Your Dog: A Field Guide to Giving Your Canine Companion the Best Life Possible
- This webinar will explore how dogs experience the world through their five senses—smell, sight, hearing, taste, and touch. By stepping into their paws and seeing the world from their point of view, we can understand some of the challenges of being a dog in a human-centered environment.
- Pet dogs are “captive” in important respects and are expected to sacrifice some of their “dogness”; as their companions, we can let dogs have the freedom to be dogs (and not furry people).
- Human environments can be under-stimulating for dogs. We’ll talk about practical ways to promote sensory enrichment.
- Human environments can also be over-stimulating and we’ll explore ways to protect dogs from sensory overload.
- Armed with an understanding of how dogs perceive the world, we can give them more freedom and more agency—unleashing them both literally and metaphorically.
- Increased freedom leads to increased happiness for dogs and the people who love them.
Please pay and register for the webinar using the button below (please make sure you register after payment)
Once you have paid, Paypal will take you to a registration page, if you are using your phone please scroll down to complete registration.
Once you have paid and registered for the webinar, the joining link will be emailed straight to you – THEY WILL GO INTO YOUR JUNK FOLDER.
Please do not wait until just before the webinar to see if you have the link.
If you do not receive these please email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the presenter
Bioethicist Dr. Jessica Pierce has been writing and lecturing about the moral contours of human-dog relationships for over 15 years and is a leading scholar in animal ethics. She has published 11 books and hundreds of articles, and her work has been published in the New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian. She writes a regular blog for Psychology Today. Her website is www.jessicapierce.net. Her most recent book (co-authored with Marc Bekoff) is Unleashing Your Dog: A Field Guide to Giving Your Canine Companion the Best Life Possible.